Friday, 14 September, 2018 - 18:39
On our second club night of the season we watched a CD of images accepted into the 2017 Dingwall National Projected Image Competition. We use these images as a source of ideas and inspiration for the coming year.
I brought some printed copies of the new syllabus. If you didn’t manage to pick up a copy, or you would rather print yourself a copy on better paper, a PDF is still available on the web site at the following link. The correct version of the syllabus will have a 4-way competition on 1st November 2018.
There were a lot of announcements to make this week. Here they are again in case you missed any.
- Please remember to add your name to the tea list. There are still a lot of blank slots. Thank you to Phil Petrie for volunteering for next week.
- Joe Fowler is arranging a photography class for beginners and new members at Fisherrow on 26th September 2018. If you missed this week’s meeting and would like to join the class, please see Joe next week. Alternatively, if you reply to this post I’ll forward your message to Joe.
- Next week (20th September) is the last submission date for the Digital Projected Images competition. Please send up to 3 JPEG images to George (our competition secretary) using the email address shown on the front of the syllabus. Images must be sized to a maximum size of 1600 pixels and renamed to show your member number and the image title, for example “56_ThisIsMyTitle.jpg”. For details see the competition guide at the following link: MCCCompetitionInformation.
- Next week we will be welcoming our first speaker, Libby Smith of Carluke Camera Club. Libby has been a regular visitor to the club and has always impressed us with her stunning images and knowledge of the subject.
Some events and photographic opportunities coming up:
- The Battle of Prestonpans takes place this weekend, 15-16th September 2018. The event begins at 10am on Saturday with a commemorative parade from Meadowmill Sports Centre. The parade proceeds to Greenhills (where Cockenzie Power Station used to be). On Saturday and Sunday there are regular events and demonstrations planned on the Greenhills site between 11am and 5pm, and the battle itself takes place both days at 3pm.
- If the weekend isn’t exciting enough, the Edinburgh Riding of the Marches also takes place on Sunday, 16th September 2018.
- The Scottish Half Marathon starts from Musselburgh on Sunday, 23rd September 2018.
- The Edinburgh Doors Open Days take place on the weekend of 29-30th September 2018. The Royal Observatory, where I work, will be open both days, but there will be many more buildings open.
See you next Thursday.
Thursday, 13 September, 2018 - 18:31
The club has received the following advertisement from wildlife photographer Laurie Campbell. If you are interested in the workshop, please contact the Harestanes Countryside Centre directly using the telephone number provided, or contact Laurie using the email address he provides below.
I am pleased to announce that on Sunday 23rd September I will be staging a one-day nature workshop in the beautiful surroundings of Harestanes Countryside Centre by Ancrum, close to Jedburgh in the Scottish Borders TD8 6UQ. The venue has conference facilities, an art gallery, wildlife garden and extensive mature woodland that provides easy access to a rich variety of subjects.
The aim of the workshop will be to demonstrate a range of techniques used to photograph nature as creatively as possible with the emphasis being on covering close-up details and landscapes.
With a maximum group size of six, the workshop is open to all, we are confident of offering bespoke tuition to all, whatever their abilities, on a one-to-one basis throughout the day that begins at 9.30am and closes at 5.00pm.
The cost of the workshop, including tuition, all refreshments and lunch is £115.00 and bookings are being taken by the Centre who may be contacted by telephone on 01835 830 306
If you would like more information before making a decision to book, then do please contact us via this email address firstname.lastname@example.org
With best wishes,
Wednesday, 12 September, 2018 - 15:13
Saturday, 8 September, 2018 - 10:52
A reminder that this weekend is the last opportunity to sign up as a club member for the lecture by well-known wildlife photographer Andy Rouse taking place in Penicuik on 8th November 2018. If you are interested please email Steve Williams at email@example.com.
If you haven’t decided yet, you can still buy a ticket when they go on sale to the public, but the tickets may sell out.
Saturday, 8 September, 2018 - 21:13
Friday, 7 September, 2018 - 22:23
I would like to welcome everyone to another season with Musselburgh Camera Club. Thank you to all who came along to this week’s opening night, especially to the potential new members who I hope we can make feel at home. If you signed up to follow the club on the web site and received this post as an email message, congratulations. It worked!
The season didn’t start without its teething troubles, and unfortunately the wrong version of the syllabus was printed. If you are wondering what the actual 2018-2019 syllabus looks like, click here for a copy.
You can print this out for yourself, and I’ll also bring some copies along next week. You will notice our first 4-way competition takes place on 1st November. This is happening early in the season, just like last year, so I would urge everyone to find your best images and email them to George to help the club. You don’t need to wait until the competition submission date. In fact, the submission date for the digital images competition is just 2 weeks away, so you’ll need to start looking for good images anyway.
Talking of competitions, here is a copy of the guide to club competitions I handed out to new members during the opening night.
Some announcements of photographic opportunities coming up soon (click for more details):
- The Battle of Prestonpans reenactment takes place on 15-16 September 2018. There is a parade at 10am on Saturday, and the main event takes place from 11am to 5pm both days. The battle starts at 3pm.
- Historic Scotland plan to light up Edinburgh Castle in the “Knight at the Castle” event on 5th October 2018.
I look forward to seeing you next week, when we will be inspired by a CD of high quality competition images. Can you guess which one will win…?